Victim Compensation Fund Now Requires Claimants to Enroll in the WTC Health Program

The Victim Compensation Fund (VCF) has changed its regulations for eligibility. While there are a few exceptions, it is now a requirement that all claimants have their WTC-linked illnesses certified through World Trade Center Health Program (WTCHP).


Getting certified by the WTCHP has always been the fastest way to have the VCF find your conditions eligible for compensation, but now it is mandatory. You must seek certification for your 9/11-related condition(s) so that you can get the compensation that you deserve.


When Congress passed the 9/11 Zadroga Health & Compensation Act, it created both the World Trade Center Health Program and the VCF. The WTCHP is intended to treat and monitor responders, as well as volunteers, local residents, office workers, teachers and students. Anyone who was exposed to the toxic WTC dust, either on 9/11 or during the following eight months, is eligible for this medical program. Fortunately, there are clinical centers located throughout the United States. The certification process is free and the program offers benefits that may not be covered by your private health insurance. Furthermore, having your conditions certified is the best way to show the VCF that your injuries were caused by your 9/11 exposure.

If you prefer working with your current doctor, then stick with your own MD. It is not necessary that you be treated by a doctor from the health program. However, in order to get compensation from the VCF, you must enroll in the program and have your conditions certified.


You must request an application by either calling their national helpline at (888) 982-4748, or by downloading it by visiting the program’s website at

Fill out the application and provide some evidence that you were exposed to the WTC toxins, and indicate approximately when and for how long. Upon approval, you will be assigned to a clinical center convenient to where you live. When you go for your appointment, bring your private medical records with you and ask them to certify your illnesses.


The following attorneys can assist you and provide more information:


For more information, Contact Barasch McGarry at (877) WTC-0911or visit their website atwww.post911attorneys.comOr consult Pitta & Baione LLP at (212) 658-1766 or visit their website at